My daughter’s favorite food is Shepherd’s Pie. I don’t want her to get bored of it, and I try to make it a bit healthier for her, so I have to be creative.
So last night, I opened the fridge and grabbed whatever leftover veggies I had, put them all in the food processor, and voila! The best shepherd’s pie E-V-E-R!!
Feel free to play with the ingredients, based on what you have at home (carrots, peas, corn…)
What you’ll Need:
- half a small cauliflower
- about 10-15 mushrooms
- 1 Onion
- 5 medium potatoes
- half sweet potato
- 2 tomatoes
- Coconut cream
- Olive oil
- Vegan BBQ sauce
- Paprika, garlic powder, salt and peeper
- Vegan ground “beef”
How to make:
- Preheat the oven to 350F (180C)
- Peel, cut and cook the potatoes and sweet potato
- Once cooked and soft, drain the water, but keep some aside
- To the pot with the potatoes, add some coconut cream, olive oil, salt, pepper and some of the water you reserved on the side, as needed – and mash
- Set aside
- Cut the veggies to small pieces
- To a food processor add the onion, mushrooms and cauliflower and process in pulses
- To a large skillet add some olive oil and saute the veggies on a medium heat
- Now that your food processor is empty, add the tomatoes and process
- Add to tomato puree the skillet
- Saute for few more minutes
- Add the veggie ground “beef” and cook for few more minutes
- Add the spices and a little bit of BBQ sauce and taste…
Now you have everything ready to assemble.
In a large pan, add the “beef” mixture and flatten.
On top, very carefully, add the mixture of the mashed potatoes and flatten.
Put it in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.
There’s a bit of work here, but I promise you, it is SOOO worth it!!!