A smoothie is an easy and effective way to consume all the super foods and greens that we don’t usually consume on a daily basis.
We all know we need to eat more leafy greens, but just find it too hard to incorporate into our meals. Smoothies are one easy way to do so.
I find that the most delicate, tasteless one is spinach. Just add a cup – 3 cups of spinach to any smoothie without effecting the flavor too much.
Kale and lettuce might be a bit more dominant, so start slow and work your way up.
- Have you heard of Spirulina? It is a type of sea weed, that is loaded with nutrients and antioxidants that can benefit your body and brain. It has a cleansing effect and can aid the body get rid of heavy metals and other free radicals. Just start with 1/4 tsp of powdered spirulina or get the frozen one which has less of a dominant taste. You can find it in Community natural food. What I like about it that it is local! Produced in Calgary.
- Chia seeds – are loaded with antioxidants, fiber,omega 3, protein and minerals. I add 1-2 teaspoons to my smoothie every morning.
- Berries – Acai berries, blueberries, Goji berries, raspberries, blackberries… they are all full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and should be part of our diet. I like to incorporate them in a smoothie with lime juice and coconut water.
- Ginger – a very strong antioxidant and a flavor booster to your morning smoothie!
- Turmeric – you might want to start slow (0.25 of a teaspoon) with this one, and work your way up.
- Almond butter – upgrades any smoothie!
- Hemp seeds – great way to boost your protein and omega 3 intake!
The super foods I listed above might be a bit expensive. So you can shop around to find the best deals. I find that buying my seeds in bulk is way cheaper. You don’t have to buy all of them at the same time. Start with one or two and rotate between them.
Play with it, play with the flavors and what you put in your smoothie! Don’t be afraid to try something new! You’ll get so many benefits and energy from it! Just PLAY 🙂
Have a wonderful healthy day!