When starting out as a vegan there is a lot of learning to do. A lot of new ingredients to get to know and work with.
Here I’ll try to give you a short list of the must haves that are in my pantry and what they are used for.
- Red Lentil Flour
- Chickpea Flour
- Almond Flour
- Whole Spelt Flour [pancakes and muffins]
- Coconut Flour [cookies and pancakes]
- Red Lentils [to add extra protein and creaminess to soups]
- Green Lentils [for Mediterranean style rice and lentils]
- Black Beans [for black bean brownies and tacos]
- Chickpeas [for adding to salads and making hummus spread]
- Moong Dall
Grains and pastas
- Jasmine Rice
- Whole Jasmine rice
- Green, un-roasted Buckwheat [for crepes]
- Quinoa [for so many things! I’ll post on it soon]
- Whole wheat pasta
- Lentil flour pasta
- Rice noodles
Seeds, Nuts and Nut Butters
- Almond butter
- Unsweetened peanut butter
- Tahini (sesame seed butter)
- Raw Cashew [for mac and cheese]
- Chia seeds [for chia pudding and smoothies]
- Flex seeds [adding to smoothies and using in baking]
- Nutritional Yeast [adds cheesy flavor to pastas and pasta sauce]
- Kala Namak salt [adds an “eggy” flavor to any dish – like eggless egg salad or tofu scramble]
- Turmeric, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder
- Dried herbs: basil, oregano, thyme, parsley, dill
- Organic Medjool dates [for smoothies, nice creams, and snacking]
- Aluminum free baking powder
- Organic Vanilla extract
- Coconut Sugar [to replace cane sugar in any baking recipe]
There are few places in Calgary where I like to buy my groceries and special ingredients:
- Costco – Costco has a lot of organic, high quality products. I usually buy my quinoa and dates there. I also find their Kirkland almond butter is really high quality and cheaper than other places.
- Bulk barn – the nuts, seeds, flours, legumes at Bulk Barn are fresh and very reasonably priced. Their spices are also very fresh and the have a huge variety.
- Community natural foods and Planet Organic – For specialty items like Nutritional yeast and Kala Namak salt
- Real Canadian Super Store – I like to buy my rice and pasta there, as they have a big variety of organic and whole grains rice and pastas. I also buy some nuts and nut butters there. You can find almost everything that is in my list above at Super Store.
Hope this helps!